Alyson’s Recommended Items
Below are lists of various products, resources and methods that I find incredibly useful in my personal attempt to maintain optimal muscular and physical health.
By Alyson Schlobohm
Typically, massage alone does not relieve your life of pain. Focusing on good posture, correct ergonomics, stretching, a healthy diet, exercise and good mental health are only some of the other factors that determine how much tension each person holds within their body.
Not every treatment or resource is the best choice for each person. Consult with your health care provider before attempting anything listed below. Should you have any adverse reaction to any of the list methods contact your health care provider immediately. No information provided should be mistaken or substituted for professional medical advice.
- Eat Right for Your Type – An interesting concept about how your blood type should dictate which foods to eat and which foods to avoid.
- Prescription for Nutritional Healing – A great resource for healing and well-being via vitamins and supplements.
- Stretching Anatomy – One of my favorite resources for simple, yet effective stretches with great illustrations to help pinpoint the muscles that are causing your pain!
- CBD Oils and Creams. Lakeside Wellness is the proud supplier of both CBD oils and CBD creams. The topical creams are great for physical tension or pain, while the oils are better for mental health.
- Biofreeze – A topical treatment that helps to soothe muscles and combat muscular tension. I use it on most of my deep-tissue clients to help prevent soreness from the massage as well.
- Foam Rollers – Foam Rollers are a great way to practice “self massage” in between your regular sessions. They can be intense since you are using body weight to create pressure so use with caution. Here is a link to some very thorough instructions on how to use a foam roller. Avoid using foam rollers on your abdominal area and the area in between your ribs and hips where you do not have bony protection for your organs.
- *Heating Pads specific to the area of your body where it’s needed! (Or just a good old general heating pad will do!) – Back – Knee – Low Back – Neck –
- InstaShiatsu Self-Massager. This thing is AGGRESSIVE, but really does the trick!
- **Nature’s Sunshine Products – I use Nature’s Sunshine products as my primary source for supplements, vitamins, herbal remedies, topical treatments and protein powders. Sign up to become a distributor with this multi-level marketing company and order everything at wholesale versus retail costs. It typically costs $40 for you to sign up, but then you get $40 worth of free, quality products. No commitment, no fees. If you do decide to sign up, please do so under my distributor number – 2818610.
- Roleo – Great for anyone suffering from Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, this contraption helps loosen the muscles in your hands and wrists that cause nerve compression.
- Thera Cane – A product I recommend to just about everyone! It allows YOU to target those tight muscles in your neck and back with very little effort! Be careful not to overuse this thing, it’s easy to become overzealous and bruise your muscles. I’ve given a dozen out as gifts and typically have them for sale on-site; I’ve never known someone to regret this purchase!
- Tri-Core Pillows – Tri-Core pillows “help relieve neck pain and correctly align the spine, while supporting the neck in its natural position.” I can say from personal experience that, while I do not LOVE sleeping with this pillow, it makes a tremendous difference in the amount of tension I feel in my neck and shoulders and it helps me to refrain from clenching my jaw throughout the night. I personally do not use it every single night, only when I am in pain or experiencing discomfort. Also available at Amazon.com.
*Heat is great for increasing circulation and loosen tight muscles. However, heat can increase inflammation; so do NOT use heat if your muscles are inflamed. If you apply heat to your muscles and it starts to feel “wrong” (tightening of your skin, achy, swollen, etc.) remove the heat immediately and apply an ice pack. Ice is a great way to slow or reduce swelling.*
**Consult your nutritionist, dietician or primary health care provider before consuming additional vitamins, supplements or products purchased from Nature’s Sunshine.**
- Do Yoga With Me – A wonderful compliment to your daily exercise routine, this website lets you do full yoga classes from the comfort of your own home! You can choose “classes” by length, style, instructor, level, etc. My personal favorites are the classes that focus specifically on the neck and shoulders!
- FitnessBlender.com – Yet another FREE workout website; Daniel and Kelly truly combine a multitude of exercise types (Hiit [High Intensity Interval Training], cardio, yoga, pilates, strengthening and conditioning, etc.) to create unique, effective routines. They also work hard to show you low impact, beginner and even more advanced ways to do many of their suggested exercises.
- Mercola.com – Yet another medical doctor speaking out against big pharmaceuticals and traditional American diet and epidemics. I highly recommend signing up for his daily emails. Backed with research, evidence and opinions from other medical advisors, it’s impossible to get bored with his emails.
- World’s Healthiest Foods – A wonderful daily email! The recipes are simple and absolutely wonderful! A lot of times I will browse the daily email and may not follow the recipe exactly but use it as “inspiration” for a creation.